Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Review: Inferno by Dan Brown


Title: Inferno

Author: Dan Brown
Source: Amazon
Blurb
#1 WORLDWIDE BESTSELLERHarvard professor of symbology Robert Langdon awakens in an Italian hospital, disoriented and with no recollection of the past thirty-six hours, including the origin of the macabre object hidden in his belongings. With a relentless female assassin trailing them through Florence, he and his resourceful doctor, Sienna Brooks, are forced to flee. Embarking on a harrowing journey, they must unravel a series of codes, which are the work of a brilliant scientist whose obsession with the end of the world is matched only by his passion for one of the most influential masterpieces ever written, Dante Alighieri's The Inferno Dan Brown has raised the bar yet again, combining classical Italian art, history, and literature with cutting-edge science in this sumptuously entertaining thriller.

Review

My initial reasoning for reading this book was the fact that I went and saw the movie. I really enjoyed the movie and I had read the other Dan Brown books and thought I should read this one too. At this point before picking up this book Angels and Demons was my favorite. I really really loved it. Do I think this book was as good as that one? It came close. But this book was so much better than the movie.
I really love Tom Hanks in his roles and before I read the book I thought the movie was quite good. But the details that are missed or changed in the movie from the book really take away from Dan Brown's story in my opinion.
The book's detail was fantastic, seriously great. Loved that I could put myself in the shoes of each character and feel their pain and suffering.
In the movie the twist that happened felt sudden and kind of abrupt ... in the book the twist, even though you know it is coming because of the movie it is still overpowering. I told my husband that the twists in the book I didn't see coming at all, but I was wrong! It was total misdirection and the twist I thought was happening wasn't happening at all. What a great book!
I want to give it a 5 star but the reason I am not is because I am comparing it to Angels and Demons. That book blew me away. And while this came pretty darn close ... it will be my second favorite. So this one is ending with a 4.5 Star rating. But it really was great. However in this book, unlike Angels and Demons after the story was over I did not find myself pondering over what happened in the world long after the story was over. Which is another reason why it is a 4.5 star. A non the less fantastic book that I really did love!



No comments:

Post a Comment